7.17.2008

How to know you are truly saved? Lakeland, FL Blog Part 2

But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. - James 1:14


After the first ra ra session there was a few minutes of a break, at this point we stood outside as people were leaving and passed out million dollar bills, we got responses that were varied including the usual "thank yous" and the "I don't need these because I am saved".


In the main lobby there was a large booth where they sold lots of stuff. From books to DVDs. One DVD a lot of people were buying was called "How to Keep your Healing" as if God could take it away from you. (Read James Chapter 6)


But on the table was one book that caught my attention enough for me to actually fork out a whole four quarters.


It was called "How to know if you are Truly Saved" and was about 20 pages long. Upon opening up I was immediately shocked it mentioned Hell, and Punishment...I was blown away! Until I read a few more pages.


I am glad I got this book because I believe it answers some questions as to why the Law is being preached but not having the same conscious striking effect.


In the book it says the following (Paraphrased) "God asked the Devil 'What is your price for Sin' and the devil replied 'Blood'"


The core of the issue comes to this. They believe that the Devil makes them sin, the Sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross was to settle an argument between God and the Devil. As opposed to the right belief that we sin on our own because we are by nature sinful and wicked. Also it is very crucial to the Gospel that the punishment for sin satisfies God's wrath and Justice, not pleasure of Satan.


This is why they could hear the Law, and it not impact their conscious! They believed it was the Devil making them do it! They were in essence worshiping the Devil by giving him so much credit on the fall.



I stopped reading the book...


It was 1pm and time for the "Evangelism Training" ...


Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Simeon said...

I cannot answer for all who go to any supposedly Christian meeting - I suspect that even meetings you agree with will have antendees with things in their theology that are false. Indeed I hope so, since part of our job is to reach and correct those who are misguided with the truth of the Gospel.

In that sense I don't dispute that some might well have such a warped concept of the gospel as you write about. Nevertheless. In my 2 weeks camping in Lakeland I spoke to no-one who would agree with your depiction. Frankly I think most would be horrified to read that is what you think was being preached. I certainly am. I didn't hear that message from the front once.

As a 3rd year theology student (not Charismatic seminary), I was listening out for it.

Perhaps had you not stopped reading the book when you did - which perhaps allows your paraphrase to misunderstand what was said - you might not be so critical. Everyone can take something out of context.

Please note. When I disagree with you I'm not saying I agree with everything that happened at lakeland, but on this issue I did not leave with the same impression as you have.

July 25, 2008 at 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home