4.09.2009

The incomprehensible humilty of Christ.

Phillipians 2:5-8
Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

I have been meditating on this verse all week. As Good Friday approaches I have been trying to really grasp what happened on that wooden crucifix two thousand years ago. This is the verse that jumped out. Christ was humbly obedient to the point of death.

I for one struggle with pride. Whether it is in my art, my preaching, my blogs or tweets, I seriously struggle with it. I am aware of it, I gladly accept the rebukes and have been trying to be humble more and more everyday.

The ultimate example of humility comes from Christ and I believe in Heaven when we see God in all his glory, once we stand innocent before God and observe his Wrath being poured out on those who were not benefactors of God's grace, then we will see the true humility of God.

How you ask?

Imagine for a moment someone stabs you with something sharp or burns your skin? Everything within you, all of your God given mechanisms for survival reach a sudden boiling point as you move your hand away and yelp. How hard would it be for you not to make a noise? I would argue that it would be almost impossible.

However, Christ while on earth not only went to the Cross silently, he refused all the desire to be as God. He did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant.

Imagine the incalculable amount of humility it took Christ, the God-Man, to refrain from all the powers of God upon the first crack of the whip entering his flesh.

Our instinct would be to run. Our instinct would tell us to fight. But Christ remained.

If I was God, I promise you, before the leather and bones were in motion towards my body. I would have paused time like Hiro Nakamura and destroyed all of the matter in creation.

But thankfully, your salvation is assured because I am not God and because Christ was.

Not only was he humble to the point of death. He was also humble to the point of God's Wrath.

Imagine that moment. Where the Son of God, holds back his righteous and just anger on man for crucifying him and then in a trinitarian mystery pours it out on himself, his Son.

Christ was humble beyond our wildest imaginations.

But God was angry beyond our wildest imaginations, and in Isaiah 53 we see he was pleased to Crush his son.

Justice was served. The just wrath which prideful men deserved was placed on Christ and it successfully paid the fine for my sin and others...on that Cross, It was finished.

I thank God this week as I reflect on Christ's death and resurrection that the Wrath of God was poured out on Christ because of His humility and His kindness.

All of my pride was placed on the humble Christ.

He became Sin.

So I can come to him.

Soli Deo Gloria.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home